Skip to main content

Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre

I received my second patch from the Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre back in April of 2018. The patch came from a museum where friends of mine worked and I was able to obtain the patch somewhat clandestinely, as it's original purpose was for Scouts. So, really that's how I was finally able to move up in Brownie ranking after 20 years of stagnation.

Review
The Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre is a real hidden gem. Just a few minutes from the Edmonton International Airport near Devon, Alberta (the museum is in Leduc County, not the town of Leduc), this museum is on the historic site of the Leduc #1 Well Discovery. The discovery is what launched Alberta into being better known as the Energy Province, and helped to kickstart the Canadian economy after WWII. The discovery was thought impossible, as they had drilled 133 dry wells before giving it "one last go". But number 134 was a hit, to put it mildly, and Canada was changed forever. The museum is in a really interesting place right now, as they seem to be looking to expand from their reputation as "strictly oil and gas" and move into a broader "energy science" realm, which I think it fantastic both from a programming and sustainability standpoint.

When you first arrive, they show you an (unintentionally) hilarious film about the history of the sector. The film was shot in the 1960's so the old environmental and safety practices are interesting, to say the least! You can then go through three different galleries focussing on the history, geology and paleontology, and science of the energy sector. The latter of these galleries dispells many of the practices seen in the film, which is a relief, to say the least.

In the history gallery, there is an exhibit called the Virtual Drillbit where you can enter and "ride" through the Earth's core, learning about the importance of geology in the energy sector and even some of the local prehistoric history. The rocks and fossils in the middle gallery are really interesting as they are largely water-based fossils and you can touch them! The back gallery is likely the most important right now as it works to educate the public on the facts. As our tour guides stated, this museum is a non-profit so they aren't out to promote agendas on either side, only facts. I definitely learned some things that, despite being an environmentally-minded Millenial with a family who works in the oil and gas industry, I honestly hadn't known before our visit.


Highlights: the staff were knowledgeable and worked to make our experience positive. Even though it was lightly raining, they were still willing to take us to the outside portion to tour the rigs and see the Leduc #1 Drill Site. They were also more than willing to discuss the pros and cons of oil and gas, and challenge preconceived notions on both sides.

Recommended Time: 1.5 hours

Ratings

Family Friendly: 3.5/5
Cleanliness: 5/5
Staff Knowledge: 5/5
Content: 3.5/5
Experience: 4/5
Overall Rating: 4/5




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump

The stunning views  from the Jump When I was in third grade, I first learned about Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump and ever since, I have been hoping to one day see it in person. Now, you make think that after roughly two decades of anticipation, finally seeing this UNESCO World Heritage Site would be a disappointment. But honestly, I loved it and hope to make it back soon. Exhibit focusing  on the  daily life of the  local First Nations. Located in the southern corner of the province, at the hilly roots of the Rockies, this site offers views of the most incredible landscapes. From here, you can see the snow-capped peaks, pieces of the southern Badlands, the rolling foothills, and even desert. (Yes, we have cacti in Alberta!). This portion of the province is often called "The World's Film Double" because so many different terrains are within an hour's drive. The jump itself is accessible by foot, and if memory serves, is accessible for those with limited mob...

Telus Spark

Water Art to examine the Earth's Atmosphere I am not a science person. While The Husband teaches science and math, I for one am much more inclined to visit heritage sites than science centres. However, this past summer was full of stops that were "for me", so I decided to surprise him and take him to Calgary's relatively new science centre,  Telus Spark . I was so glad that I did! Stunning Montessori-like exhibit design The Telus Spark is located directly across the road from the Calgary Zoo and features beautiful exhibits. The open-space entrance is reminiscent of Edmonton's new Royal Alberta Museum, which also features two main gallery areas stacked atop one another. Telus Spark has an incredible earth-sciences exhibit on the main floor, which was one of my favourite stops. I know it's rather "millennial" to say this, but the aesthetic of natural materials and neutral tones made the Telus Spark feel oddly relaxing and clean. I also ju...