Skip to main content

Meet Your Museum

Image from the 
Alberta Museums Association
The Alberta Museums Association is a major cornerstone within Alberta's museum community. They not only provide incredible training and development opportunities for professionals, but they also provide support to museums through grants, community support, advisory programs, and promotion. Their latest promotional campaign, "Meet Your Museum" has been spreading throughout the province and has become a great way to, quite literally, introduce people to their museums.

The campaign centres around the idea that increasing awareness surrounding museums in Alberta will "promote joy and collective celebration, and increase attendance". While the latter is definitely important at the end of the day, as museums need people to show up if they are going to exist at all, the former points are why the museums should exist in the first place. Creating connections will inevitably create joy.

Museums serve as a meeting point in so many ways. People connect despite barriers of language, culture, geography, and even time. These interactions are crucial not only the fabric of museums but in the contribution to a higher quality of life. For people to be able to connect with their community tangibly, and offline, is a rarity these days. Now, I am by no means undermining the importance of the internet. The irony of doing so on a blog would not be lost on me. However, I believe that as we become more tech-based, we do forfeit tangible experiences in lieu of shared ones. Neither is better, but neither should be neglected as they are not substitutes for each other.

One thing I love about this campaign is that it centres around two things: social media and physical identifiers. Despite its obvious downfalls, social media provides an exceptional way for museums to share themselves with the public and remain accessible year-round. In addition, the physical identifiers used in this campaign are not only cute, they are inviting! I have already had four people stop me and ask me about my button in the two days since I've had it. Those are four people who may have otherwise not engaged with the museum community that day, and, I may add, it was offline and outside of the museum walls.

If you are wanting to learn more about the museums in your area, or where you can "Meet your Museum", or engage personally in local history you can, of course, subscribe to my blog, but you can also visit the Alberta Museums Association website, Edmonton Maps Heritage, or visit the Government of Alberta Arts and Culture website.

With that being said, I'm left with two questions for you: what are some ways you like to engage with your local communities, and how could museums better connect with you, in person or otherwise?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump

The stunning views  from the Jump When I was in third grade, I first learned about Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump and ever since, I have been hoping to one day see it in person. Now, you make think that after roughly two decades of anticipation, finally seeing this UNESCO World Heritage Site would be a disappointment. But honestly, I loved it and hope to make it back soon. Exhibit focusing  on the  daily life of the  local First Nations. Located in the southern corner of the province, at the hilly roots of the Rockies, this site offers views of the most incredible landscapes. From here, you can see the snow-capped peaks, pieces of the southern Badlands, the rolling foothills, and even desert. (Yes, we have cacti in Alberta!). This portion of the province is often called "The World's Film Double" because so many different terrains are within an hour's drive. The jump itself is accessible by foot, and if memory serves, is accessible for those with limited mob...

Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre

I received my second patch from the Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre back in April of 2018. The patch came from a museum where friends of mine worked and I was able to obtain the patch somewhat clandestinely, as it's original purpose was for Scouts. So, really that's how I was finally able to move up in Brownie ranking after 20 years of stagnation. Review The Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre is a real hidden gem. Just a few minutes from the Edmonton International Airport near Devon, Alberta (the museum is in Leduc County, not the town of Leduc), this museum is on the historic site of the Leduc #1 Well Discovery. The discovery is what launched Alberta into being better known as the Energy Province, and helped to kickstart the Canadian economy after WWII. The discovery was thought impossible, as they had drilled 133 dry wells before giving it "one last go". But number 134 was a hit, to put it mildly, and Canada was changed forever. The museum is in a really interesti...

Telus Spark

Water Art to examine the Earth's Atmosphere I am not a science person. While The Husband teaches science and math, I for one am much more inclined to visit heritage sites than science centres. However, this past summer was full of stops that were "for me", so I decided to surprise him and take him to Calgary's relatively new science centre,  Telus Spark . I was so glad that I did! Stunning Montessori-like exhibit design The Telus Spark is located directly across the road from the Calgary Zoo and features beautiful exhibits. The open-space entrance is reminiscent of Edmonton's new Royal Alberta Museum, which also features two main gallery areas stacked atop one another. Telus Spark has an incredible earth-sciences exhibit on the main floor, which was one of my favourite stops. I know it's rather "millennial" to say this, but the aesthetic of natural materials and neutral tones made the Telus Spark feel oddly relaxing and clean. I also ju...