Working at FEP has been a longtime dream of mine. One of those "How do you even get that job?" kind of places. Turns out, getting a job there is about as tricky as most people think. However, if you are thinking of working there, or another living history museum, here are some tips and tricks that will likely help you! Now, I don't work in HR for the City of Edmonton, so obviously I can't guarantee anything. It's incredibly competitive. In my year, rumor had it that over 300 people applied, 50 were interviewed, and just 5 people were hired. Just keep that in mind!
1. Connections
It goes without saying that who you know is incredibly important. I was lucky enough to know absolutely nobody who worked in museums when I decided to leave high school education, so I had to build my connections from the ground up. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? Almost, but thankfully not quite.
It started with cold calls and emails (terrifying!) which amounted in a lot of people who never got backed to me, a few who outright rejected me, and just one who agreed to meet with me. But that one person was a former Coordinator at FEP, and by the grace of God, he saw something in me that urged him to help me out. So he sent an email on my behalf and got me an interview to volunteer at FEP. Yea. It took an insider to even get an interview to volunteer! Thankfully, that interview went well, and they agreed to take me on as an (unpaid) intern.
2. Education
3. Experience
Due to my experience at FEP during my internship, I was able to build connections and experience within the Park itself. I was incredibly lucky to have an incredible supervisor for my internship. He was smart, patient, and completely willing to (kindly) tell me how I could improve. He gave me the opportunity to participate in a Blanket Ceremony, do research on past Edmontonians, and granted me behind-the-scenes access to the park. This experience paired with my time volunteering at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village, and my time spent as a teacher, meant that I had skills with the public, with taking content and creating connections with the public, and experience with FEP itself.
4. Talents
If you want to work at FEP, you are going to have to have demonstrable talents that related to the past. Personally, I can sew, knit, crochet, cross-stitch, weave, and embroider, and I also have conversational French. In addition, some coworkers were able to speak languages fluently: French, Russian, German, Hindi, Spanish, Portuguese, and Tagalog, to name a few. Others had had experience blacksmithing, had licenses to drive historic vehicles, could tan hides, had historic gun licenses, could do authentic Indigenous crafts, play the fiddle or piano, and so on. These talents all came in handy, especially if there are certain eras you are interested. I worked on 1885 Street, so my crafting skills came in handy because it was reflective of the time, so placing me there made a lot of sense. I definitely used my French language skills, limited though they are, multiple times a day, and honestly, you are going to want to have a talent that occupies your time, because otherwise, you are going to get really bored on rainy days.
5. Application
The application process is rather complicated. Interpreter positions are hired on the City of Edmonton website, not the FEP website. Once you create a profile, you will be asked to create a resume and cover letter. Make sure your cover letter points out your talents, education, and prior experience which is relevant, but also ensure that your cover letter is no longer than a page. I've heard they simply throw away the cover letters that are more than a page because they receive hundreds of applicants. You will also be asked some screening questions, which will give you a good idea of whether or not you stand a chance. If you say "no" to any of those questions, chances are that HR won't even see your resume. However, if you lie, they will find out in the interview and that is really not a good thing to have happen.
6. Interview
Afterward, I was pulled into an interview with two members of management, where they asked me questions related to my historical skills, language abilities, professionalism, work ethic, and so on. I was also asked to interpret an object to them which was intentionally chosen due to the fact that very few people will likely know what it is. Turns out, it wasn't a problem that I didn't know what my object was. I just made up a first-person story about being a blacksmith's wife and trying to sell my husband's new invention even though I didn't know what it was! Thankfully, they actually seemed to really like that. I am sure other people interpreted this in third-person, but for some reason, I chose not to.
I was contacted within a week by phone to be offered the position, which obviously I accepted. It was one of the best summers of my life, and I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to work at FEP. My sincere hope is to work there again one day. It was honestly such fun, and I was so proud to be a part of the team.
7. Costuming

After I was hired, I was sent to costuming to be fitted. I was hired to play a Persona (The Widow), so I received three outfits, while most other ladies on my street received two. My Widow's Dress was a black and grey skirt with lovely pick-ups, and a black and grey top with a black velvet hat, complete with meshed bird-cage. I then also received my Farm Dress, which was a lovely shade of poop brown, and unbearably hot to wear. The only good thing about that outfit was that it I only required 5 minutes for my low-bun hair in the morning. In contrast, my Sunday Best was a lovely two-piece with a sage skirt and matching sage and false-front cream blouse, complete with tuxedo-tails on the back. I loved it dearly, despite the 45 minutes of hairstyling required to wear this outfit properly.
Yes, we do get "authentic" underwear. I recieved a chemise, a corset, a bum-roll, and a lobster cage. The latter two were not worn with the Farm Dress, and yes having a bustle (lobster tail) did make me feel like an Ugly Step-Sister from Cinderella.
Conclusion
So, that's my experience getting hired on at Fort Edmonton Park. Hopefully, it provides you with a little insight into the hiring process of this, and potentially other, living history museums. I have never worked for the City of Edmonton HR, so all observations are my own and are based solely on my own experiences. Policies and practices change, and I in no way claim to fully understand why some people are, or aren't, hired. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them based on my experience, but again, each season is new and different, and much happens in the hiring process that hired persons are not privy to. I in no way promise that my techniques will guarantee a job. It's just what worked for me!
Comments
Post a Comment